Friday, February 12, 2010

Why its important to do your breast self-exams

I write openly about my experience with breast cancer. I do that for a number of reasons. It helps me to breathe easier -- getting it all out as opposed to suffering in silence. It helps my friends and family members to understand what I am going through and allows them to be kept abreast of my treatment without feeling like they are burdening me with questions. And I do it for you. The person out there who reads these compelling mini-stories and sits there wondering... "what if that were me?"

Well... what if it were you sitting at home, thinking about your life and wondering how did this happen to me? What would you do? How would you feel? I know there are no easy answers to these questions. And I don't mean to be rude... but breast cancer is a beast. Sticking your head in the sand, pretending that it couldn't happen to you, won't happen to someone you love... doesn't change the beast's mentality. Cancer is a destroyer. It is an invader that creeps into your body by convincing some cells to outlive their natural lives. Those mutated cells cluster together and form a tumor. That tumor disrupts the functions of your body wherever they form. Cancer can form anywhere... but I am going to focus on breast cancer because that is my journey.

I could post graphic images of women with one or no breasts. I could post images of women who -- because of where they live in the world -- are unable to be treated for breast cancer and who have tumors that have grown so wildly out of control that they are literally coming through their breast tissue. I could show you images of x-rays of breast cancer tumors. But I won't do that. I've posted pictures with other posts but today... I'm just using my words to convey to you that it is important... very, very important that you know your body and examine your own breasts every month.

It takes just a few moments. You can do it when you're in the shower or when you're lying in your bed. Simply take your fingers and rub them across your breasts using a circular motion. You're trying to feel what's in there. It should feel soft and you may feel a few lumps. Don't let that freak you out. Our breasts are made of a variety of tissues that have different functions and feel differently. What you should do if you're just starting this self-exam process is check your breasts at different times of the month. Check them enough that you know what feels normal and what doesn't. Use your fingers like your eyes... to "see" what is going on inside your body.

After you've done this for a few months, you'll know what normal is like for your breasts. Try not to examine your breasts too closely to your menstrual cycle. Our bodies change during our cycle and you may feel things at that time that aren't there at other times in the month. But, at least once, check them then... so you can know what it feels like at that time.

I know that a lot of women, especially young women, don't consider that breast cancer is a possibility. But I am here to tell you that it can happen. Its not likely to happen but the possibility does exist. Know your body and if you are concerned, see your doctor as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment