Sunday, April 3, 2011

Will you join my Race for the Cure team?


[Komen Global Race for the Cure]

On Saturday, June 4th, I will join thousands of other pink ribbon supporters in the annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. If you don't know what the Race for the Cure is ... you need to get out more often. (laughs)

Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had good intentions of doing the Race for the Cure. Every year I told myself that I was going to participate in the event "next year". I lost my aunt Vinnie Lee to breast cancer and her death haunted me. I had another aunt who was diagnosed with breast cancer and I wanted to honor her journey. I wanted to do my part for the millions of women and men affected with this disease. But every year... I found a reason not to. Or I forgot. Or I had other plans. Or I was feeling tired. Or... or... or... well, you know. I never made the time to do it.

And then I was diagnosed with breast cancer just a few weeks after the Race for the Cure took place. Naturally my perspective changed. I spent the next year in chemotherapy, and surgery and radiation therapy... and I realized that the Race for the Cure was really pretty important. Raising money for breast cancer awareness, research and assistance was critical. So the following year, I registered... raised some money, rocked my pink shirt and decided to join the masses. I was in the midst of recovering from radiation treatment. I was sore. My skin was burned and peeling and I was exhausted like I had never been before. But I walked. I cried the whole day because seeing the sea of pink made it really clear just how massive this disease was.

Millions of women (and a percentage of men too) have to fight this disease. If breast cancer hasn't affected your world directly... keep living. In your lifetime, one in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Every 69 seconds a woman dies of breast cancer. Nearly a quarter of a million women are diagnosed every year. Every year.

I am asking you to join my team... Join Pink is the new Sexy!!

The walk itself isn't difficult. It isn't long and its not challenging. The effort is symbolic. I need your help. Just like I couldn't get through my treatment alone... I need help to get through this event. Just thinking about it makes me cry. Let's join together and help all those women and families and friends and co-workers who struggle to be healed from this disease.

I need your help. My goal is to have a team of 50 people and to raise $5000. Please consider taking a few hours out of a summer Saturday morning and/or donating a few dollars to the cause. I can't do this without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment