Thursday, December 30, 2010

Its time for the BOUNCE BACK!

Its the eve of New Year's Eve... and I've been in deep contemplation about the new year and the new possibilities it will bring. It dawned on me that every day we receive the same gift... the opportunity for the bounce back.

When I was a kid, there was a popular toy like the one pictured here. It was a Bozo the clown bop bag. A simple toy but it provided an abundance of fun. It also provides for me now, a serious lesson for life and living. Its a simple toy really... a blow up doll with sand in the base. Pretty easy to use too. You hit it, it leans and then it bounces back.

But its the BOUNCE BACK that gives it all the fun -- and for me, gives me all the encouragement that I need to step into my future and the new year. 2010 has been an incredibly difficult year. I have attended a lot of funerals this year. I have incurred a lot of bills because of my health. My credit score has taken some dings because the bills have outweighed the money on many occasions. My love life is the pits and generally speaking... I've been just dragging. But I think that me and Bozo are going to step into the new year because of the beauty of the bounce back.

See, I think of the sand base in the bottom of this toy as the equivalent of my spiritual base. I've had people ask me this year where I was spiritually because they haven't seen me in church for awhile. I have had people ask me where I was spiritually because they had not witnessed me using my tithing envelopes. I've had folks wonder about me because they think that my health concerns may have dimmed my light or my love for God and for living. But my love of God and of this wonderful life He's given me... give me the ability to BOUNCE BACK from my failings and shortcomings.

I had breast cancer. He gave me the bounce back to be cured. I had one breast removed. He gave me the bounce back to get a second one. And so on, and so forth. I have been blessed... blessed beyond measure this year. And while I have taken some hits... it is time for a bounce back. Time for a move forward. I know that God doesn't give me more than I can handle. So, while things may be tough now... I know that good things are coming because that is just the way it is.

As I prepare my mind for the new year and I think of all the new possibilities... I realized that it is time for my bounce back. Some of us look to New Year's eve as our opportunity to bounce back, press reset and start over. But the honest to goodness truth is that every day is that opportunity. Every day that you wake up, you're on the way to your own personal bounce back. Its time to press RESET and get going moving forward.

Time for me to bounce back. Stand back and watch me shine. Breast cancer will not defeat me.

"when they push you down, you've got to get back up"

No comments:

Post a Comment