Monday, November 23, 2009

genetic testing, saying no to prophylactic mastectomy and more bills

I received a letter the other day from my insurance company. They denied payment for the genetic testing for the breast cancer gene. I was disappointed but only slightly. My disappointment was slight because the one decision that I finally made was to tell my surgeon that it didn't matter whether I had the breast cancer gene or not, I did not want to have a prophylactic mastectomy.

Making that choice to keep my breast was a hard one. And it was one where I really questioned my own stubbornness and wondered why I was so attached to anything that had the potential to kill me down the line. Since removing the breast could not guarantee not having cancer recur, I had to follow my gut. Removing my breast on the chance that cancer could come to that breast just wasn't something that ever felt right in my spirit. So, I finally said no.  But it was hard. And I do understand why a lot of women opt to have this surgery done. The scare with my mammogram the other week did make me pause and really reflect about the possibility of doing this dance again. In the end, I decided to keep my breast and say no to the surgery.

Sadly, I said no after making the decision to have the genetic testing and after having my blood drawn for the procedure. I wish I had made the decision before that. Could have saved myself some money. But, I will have to pay this bill when it arrives because I asked for it.

I received a call the other day that my results are in for the genetic test. (rolling eyes) I truly do NOT want to even know. Crazy sounding I know, but I don't. I have to make an appointment to find out the results. And figure out how to pay for this expensive test. With the cost of this test, I will have spent at least ten thousand dollars out of my own pocket during this breast cancer journey. I think if I add the costs of money spent at the drugstore for this, that and the other thing -- it may add on another couple thousand to the costs.

Once I speak with the geneticist, I can report whether I have the breast cancer gene(s) and how that information will affect my treatment going forward. One thing I know... I will be sharing the results with my family so that they can be armed with some knowledge that will help them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment