Saturday, December 5, 2009

Still fatigued after the surgery

I am healing very well after my TRAM flap surgery. My plastic surgeon is quite pleased. However, I have to admit that I am really quite tired. My energy level has not returned and according to my doctor, it may be weeks before I'm feeling like myself. I'm beginning to wonder if that is even possible. (laughs)

I did receive the green light to return to work in a week -- though I believe she was reluctant to do so. But since I'm healing so well and looking pretty wonderful (her words but I agree) she agreed that I can return to work.

I'm beginning to feel like a prisoner again...which is why I asked to be released for work. And its this feeling that has me really wondering about the future surgical procedures I have to look forward to. We discussed briefly the procedure to reduce and lift my other breast and my nipple reconstruction as well. (First, let me say.. yuck. The conversation was not fun...but I digress.)  I am a little tired of being out of work for weeks at a time. It sounds nice in theory but really, I feel like a hostage or a prisoner. I'm too weak to go out, or travel and take advantage of the downtime. But my body requires the time to heal and needs the rest to make things better. I just don't know how to find a balance.

If I can make it 6 to 9 months (or longer) before I have to have another surgical procedure, I think I will be pleased. But... since it may not be possible (I don't know what God has in store for me actually) I will just hope that the next time I will be just as responsive in my healing as I have been this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment