Friday, January 8, 2010

Are you in it to end it?


Are you in it to end it?

These words are part of the new ad campaign for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. I received a flyer in the mail yesterday encouraging me to sign up for the 2-day Walk for Breast Cancer.

Prior to my diagnosis of breast cancer, I promised myself that one year I would actually take up the challenge. Every year the 2-day walk takes place in Washington, DC during my birthday weekend. I wanted to walk in honor of  my Aunt Vinnie-Lee who died from breast cancer and I wanted to walk in honor of my Aunt Alice who is a survivor.  I figured that it wouldn't be robbery for me to dedicate a few months of my life to preparing for this challenge and raising money that could do some good in this fight against this disease.

...and then I found out that I had breast cancer and now I don't know. Wouldn't you think that I would have the opposite reaction? That I would be bursting at the seams to do something like this to show my solidarity and support? I'm weird. I know. (laughs)

The 2-day walk is set up so that you can walk the entire 39.3 miles (broken up into 26.2 the first day, and 13.1 on the second day) or you can choose to walk the equivalent of a marathon (26.2 miles) split between the two days. If you've never moved your body that far... let me tell you that it is an amazing experience.  I've trained for a marathon in the past and well... that's some real work.

26.2 miles is a long stretch of road. It is more than a physical challenge, it is a mental one as well. I'm not sure that I am physically up for it (though I am intrigued by the notion and the goal) and I'm really not sure that I am mentally and emotionally ready for it. But... so many women and men lose a portion of their lives, their bodies and themselves because of this disease (including myself). And so I wonder can I do more?

Can I do more?

Right now, writing about my experiences with breast cancer gives me something to focus on and also gives me a voice. I hope that I am helping others with this transparency into my feelings. I believe that I am. But, is it enough and can I do more?

I am planning to host a fundraising event later in the year. I want to help other sisters like myself -- the same way that my pink ribbon sisters before me reached out to help me. I plan to be a strong link in the chain... doing what I can to help another sister on this rocky path.

I don't think this is my year to walk 39 miles. But I will do something. Will you do something?

No comments:

Post a Comment