Sunday, January 24, 2010

Femininity after breast cancer




Does breast cancer have an affect on the woman's femininity?

I saw a tweet this morning with this question and a link to this page: (does breast cancer affect females femininity?)  And honestly, it annoyed and frustrated me instantly. I know that I complain and moan about not feeling sexy and losing my swagger throughout this process all the time. But seeing that tweet just made me feel like someone was telling me to just give up on the notion of ever feeling sexy in my own skin again.

Its one thing if I have concerns and worries about myself. It is a totally different thing if someone is trying to tell me that they "know" something to be true about who I am. I don't like that very much. You can't know what I don't show you. Breast cancer is a thief. But I refuse to give up anything else because of this disease -- especially something as wonderful and priceless as my femininity.

I read the poster's question and the responses...and it made me sad, mad and motivated. Sad because millions of women live with breast cancer and it is sad to think that there are millions of women out there who may feel disconnected from their feminine spirit. Mad... breast cancer robs you of so much throughout your treatment. You go through emotional swings daily (if not hourly). It negatively affects so many parts of your life. To think that it could steal something that is so intrinsic and beautiful about being a woman is just cruel. And finally... it motivated me to get busy turning the thoughts in my head into tangible efforts that will help someone else dealing with this issue.

I refuse -- hear me -- RE-FUSE to let go of my femininity. That certain thing that separates women from children and females from males is as exciting as the sparkle on a diamond,  and as comforting as a hot toddy on a cold evening. Femininity is a glorious thing. I may not feel it all the time, but trust me... that's a temporary state. I'm all about being wonderfully and totally a girl.

I found a company that creates luxury lingerie for mastectomy patients. They have really put some thought into these items. Very nice, very pretty. That's what I'm talking about. I can still be fine after its all said and done.

Breast cancer, what?? Get outta here. My lovely cannot be restrained. http://www.dimurini.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment