Monday, January 4, 2010

A new year... and a new chance at life beyond breast cancer.


We are just a few days into the year 2010 and by now, hopefully, you've worked out your resolutions and goals for the year. (I haven't but that's besides the point) I have been thinking about what I want to experience this year and how I can make a difference.

When I started this breast cancer journey in the summer of 2008, I told myself that I would not become one of those eternally optimistic, always in pink, breast-cancer-is-my-life women. Not that there is anything wrong with being one of those women -- they are changing the world with their energy and their efforts -- I just didn't want this illness to become my cause. I was ashamed of my diagnosis and I thought that it would be something that I needed to get beyond and then forget about.

Breast cancer simply is not that way. At least not for me. It has now been 16 months of this... and I am becoming that voice.  A year ago I couldn't understand women who said that breast cancer was one of the best things to happen to them.. I'm beginning to understand now.

(more after the jump.. click the READ MORE link)

I guess for some of us -- probably many of us actually -- we allow life to sort of run us into a rut of ordinary living.  I was that way. Looking and searching for something that would make my life feel worthy and meaningful.  Don't get me wrong, I found meaning and purpose in many things but it was as though I couldn't pull it together into one coherent theme. And then breast cancer came along and changed everything that I thought I knew about myself.

In some ways, I see myself the same way. But in many, many more... I know that I am different now and there is no turning back to the way it was. I am not sure whether I will always be super-energized about breast cancer awareness. Knowing me, some of the enthusiasm will wear off after some time. But as long as I have it, I'm going to use it.

I haven't completed a list of resolutions -- not sure that I will do one actually -- but one thing I do know is that I will have at least one event that is a fundraiser for women and men diagnosed with breast cancer. Right now, I am envisioning a grand gala with a sexy theme. But I will keep you posted about the details as the year goes on.

What are you going to do to help the cause that means the most to you?  Think about it, and then make it happen. If I can help you in anyway, leave me a note and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment