Monday, January 4, 2010

okay... so how long will it take for my hair to really grow back after chemotherapy?


I completed the first part of my chemotherapy journey approximately a year ago. I finished my Herceptin treatment (a hormonal targeted treatment) about a month and a half ago. The first part of the journey was the worst on my body and especially on my hair. It made it ALL fall out. All over. Just bald.

In some ways, it was wonderful. In others... not so much. I didn't have to shave my legs or get a bikini wax for months and months. But, my hair came out in clumps and my eyelashes just disappeared. You take the good with the bad and you deal with it.

I think I preferred being bald

My new post-chemotherapy hair is very curly and very dark. It is soft and reasonably easy to manage which is good for me because I have no idea what to do with my hair. I haven't had to "do" my hair in many years. I wore it very short in order to avoid hairdressers, blow dryers, curling irons and all that jazz. Yes, I am admitting that I was (am) quite "hair-lazy".

(more after the jump...click the READ MORE link)

Losing my hair to chemotherapy was traumatic. To move beyond it, I promised myself that if my hair came back I would allow it to grow as long as it could grow. So, I havent' been to the barbershop since the fall of 2008. But...now I am frustrated. I've got this curly afro on my head and I have no idea what to do with it.
 
I need help.


Where's my hair growth?

After almost a year... My hair really hasn't grown much. Well, let me take that back. Its grown a lot. Although its pretty curly, stretched out its about 3 inches long all around. Considering that I was bald as a cueball this time last year... I am appreciative of the growth. At the same time though, I realize that hair typically grows about 1/2 inch per month. So... if you do the math... either my hair is growing at half that rate OR I've got a serious breakage issue going on over here.

Might be a little bit of both -- slow growth and breakage. Since I'm not accustomed to being overly concerned with my hair, this is all new to me. I thought that by now I would be fighting myself to get to the barbershop and have all my hair cut off. But it really hasn't happened. I would like to see myself with long hair again. I can't remember the last time I had hair that came down farther than my ears.

Hair chronicles

In the coming days, weeks and months... I plan to chronicle my journey with my hair growth. Learning how to care for naturally curly hair is challenging. Fortunately, there are a lot of sisters out there working with learning how to manage their hair in its natural state. I've discovered quite a few blogs and websites dedicated to helping african-american women go "natural" and learn to appreciate the hair texture that they have. I am hopeful that with their help, I will also learn how to work with my natural curliness -- even if its different from the hair I had before chemotherapy.

The first thing I have to figure out is a regular regimine that is healthy and somewhat easy to carry out. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment