Monday, November 7, 2011

What I'm reading now -- Body Toxic (Nena Baker)


I'm always reading something... I don't always finish what I'm reading but I've probably got 20 books in some stage of absorption right now. I'll continue to blame the chemo for my short attention span... and keep it moving (laughs).

I picked up a copy (picked up being a euphemism for strolled through http://greenhillgoldman.blogspot.com.com) of The Body Toxic:  How the hazardous chemistry of everyday things threatens our health and well-being. And in the first few pages I was smacked dead in the center of my eyes with a whole lot of stuff I wasn't sure I wanted to know. 

I have a personal theory that our world is just so chock full of crap that its slowly killing us. I have no proof for this theory. I have no scientific background which I could point to that says... "you might be right Nicole". No, I have none of that. All I've got is this feeling... and I know that its lame to just have a feeling but eh. Its all I got right now, so I'm going with it.

This well-researched and clearly laid out book actually shows me that my non-scientific feeling could be very dead on. Even as our government agencies slowly do away with certain chemicals, their effects manage to continue to leach into our environment and accumulate in our bodies. The first few pages and chapters of this book are frightening. Clean living, healthy living, being diligent about what you eat, working out and all of that... doesn't stop these toxic chemicals from finding their way into our bodies. Though it can reduce our toxic load. And that is a step in the right direction.

I won't give away all of the great information in this book but if you are remotely concerned about how our environment affects the chemical load in our bodies -- and how that toxicity can affect our health -- please do yourself a favor and pick up this book.

Let me add... it gets a little heavy -- all the names of all of chemicals became a little confusing for me -- but the information is startling. The writer did a great job of providing a good historical background that explains how we got to this place and she offers reasonable suggestions for you to consider if you want to take action steps to lighten your chemical load. She's not suggesting radical life changes... just a few small ones that may help. Things like eating organic foods, no microwave popcorn, and not using plastic in the microwave.

Honestly, chemotherapy has forever changed my perspective about what I put in and on my body. The days immediately following my infusions, I could SMELL the medicine coming out of my skin. I hated that sick smell and I got into the habit of soaking with Epsom salt to draw out toxins during that time in my life. So, the few little changes that she's suggested, are ones that I will be sure to implement. We cannot avoid all of the chemicals in our world. It simply isn't possible. But, if you're like me, any few steps that you can take to regain control (just a little bit) of your life makes a difference in your outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment